The Woman Warrior

 Word Count: 258 words

The memoir begins with these words, "'You must not tell anyone,' my mother said, 'what I am about to tell you. In China your father had a sister who killed herself. She jumped into the family well. We say that your father has all brothers because it as if she had never been born.'" This is an extremely strong way that Kingston begins her memoir, something that begins to show internal struggle that she faces because there are so many different things that make up who she and her family are, together and separately. Knowing this information finally would make me feel betrayed. 

Another line that I think is powerful is when Kingston reveals, "And I have so many words- 'chink' words and 'gook' words too- that they do not fit on my skin.'" Being labeled as words you do not agree with is extremely difficult to handle, knowing that clapping back and sticking up for yourself hardly works against the disgusting words of others but being true to yourself is most important. She is shy of words and struggles with this throughout her life- identity along with expressing herself, her beliefs, and what she stands for. 

I believe becoming a writer was everything that Kingston needed in life to be able to express her true thoughts and life. It becomes a very difficult life when you feel that there are many things that are said about you or many things you have to hold in that do not able you to be your best and true self.

Comments