The Price of my Soul

Word Count: 252 words

    As an Irish Republican activist, Bernadette Devlin faced traumatic moments as well as being a strong female figure. She started from the bottom, alike many other women writers we have learned about thus far. She experienced poverty, saying the quote, "If you eat up all the bread at teatime, there won't be anything for breakfast..." This quote shows how rationing was necessary in her early years. A turning point in her life was when she was shot at with her husband leaving their house. It was said that British Soldiers ordered this, but they failed and there was collateral damage as another couple was hurt. I cannot imagine the feeling of being targeted by your own government, the betrayal that would feel like along with not being able to feel safe. She says, "To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else." I absolutely love the way she thinks here and how she is persistent to live the life that she is passionate about. She was so strong in her own personality, beliefs, and values that she did not care what anyone had to say about her decisions and life choices.

Another quote I found of hers that made me look up to her fierceness is when she said, "Policemen always call me a stupid bitch, and I deny that I'm stupid." I love that she knows she can stand up for herself and has no problem being a bitch if she gets her point across.

Comments