Introduction to Anthology

Blog #1

266 words

 Throughout this introduction in the Norton Book of Women's Lives, I loved hearing that the author, Phyllis Rose, wanted to dive deep into not your average women (models, women raised to do their duty, etc.), but women that were wild and lived their lives to the fullest. She wasn't sure what that exactly looked like and how you can define "living life to the fullest," but I relate to her in her interests of women and their successes. Something that stood out to me are stories of Africa, for example the book, Out of Africa. Rose says that, "colonial life in Africa had become both a fad and a phobia." This has always been extremely interesting to me, wondering how the other half lives and how women can succeed running a coffee plantation (for example) as they are coming to find themselves against all odds and lots of troubles along the way. I begin to wonder what she encountered and if she built long-lasting relationships with African American women in her area. Also, when reading the style of how this textbook is laid out, it is smart and effective that Rose makes the suggestion of what story to read next at the bottom in the headnotes. This is a type of textbook where readers (including me) would jump all around to what peaks their interest, which is awesome how helpful Rose is with this. I think it's inspiring to see where women have come from and what they have persevered from in so many different ways which further excites me to dive in to these books.

Comments

  1. I was very hesitant at first, seeing how long the introduction was but I think it was very informative on her thought process behind her picking these pieces and how she interpreted them. I agree 100% with you on jumping around to what interests you. I found her recommendations for what to read next very interesting, I have never seen that done before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that done before either! I think it will help readers in many ways of understanding exactly how impressive it was that these women came out of these situations stronger than ever.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with your analysis of the introduction and how hearing about different women's inspirations and life story can really excite the reader to find their own inspirations and create their own story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I think this textbook will help us to break barriers in our own lives and standup for what we believe in because we see what all came before us.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy how you wrote about how some of these women lived their lives to the fullest. It shows their courage and how they were able to go against some social norms that women have. Some were able to defy the odds in a world that was set up against them at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan- I hope we can take these themes and go against social norms that are in place in our own lives!

      Delete

Post a Comment