I Know Where the Caged Bird Sings
Word Count: 330 words
Maya was originally faced with a hardship once being handed off from her parents to her grandmother, "Momma." I cannot imagine the feeling of knowing the people who are supposed to love you more than anyone else decided they wanted nothing to do with you. Right off the bat she is missing a key component of being a child, living and loving your parents. It was great that her grandmother was able to be there for her as my grandmother was also a huge part of my childhood, along with my parents! It is another perspective and another kind of love that I believe helped shape her into who she ended up being.It also made me really upset hearing and knowing that Maya measured herself against the white girls and compared herself constantly. Then, after enduring already a tough childhood, Maya is sexually assaulted by her mother's boyfriend. There is much more to the story but this horrible childhood and strength she had to pull herself out of the pits and rise to be a face of the community is amazing. She defied all racism by pushing through it and trying to not acknowledge it as part of her future. She shows strength repeatedly as she also hides her pregnancy but is confident in her ability as a mother. She grows into a well rounded and powerful woman who should teach us girls that we are much more than what happens to us/what we endure. We are what is within and who we are as people that truly matters. The quote, "The caged bird sings with a fearful trill, of things unknown, but longed for still, and his tune is heard on the distant hill, for the caged bird sings for freedom." This quote shows me that the caged bird is Maya. She sings for freedom by standing true to herself although she is fearful- to rise above the hate and prove she is worthy of a great life.
The part of your blog that stood out to me was how Maya constantly compared herself to the young white girls that she often encountered - I also noticed while reading the text that she felt very protective over her family members when they interacted with the girls as well, and would get angry/annoyed when her family members showed the girls respect despite being completely disrespected by them. I think these encounters and interactions with the young girls really shaped Maya into who she was as a child and young woman whether they were positive or negative interactions.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you and think that most of our growth and perception in who we are occurs when we are young girls, taking in the world and interactions around us. I feel so sorry for her that she was even taking in the interactions of her family members, showing that she felt responsible for protecting them.
DeleteIt makes me extremely upset to read what Maya had to go through in her childhood. Having parents that love and nurture you is a key component in life and because that is missing from hers she forms many hatred feelings towards herself, blaming herself for this. I could never imagine living her life, and it makes me grateful that I have such loving parents and upset for people that do not.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that parents are huge building blocks for children especially crucial in the childhood years. Family is so important in my life and I have no idea what I would do without them.
Delete