Lost in Translation
Word Count: 270 words
Experiencing so much at a young age, Hoffman had to go through learning a new language and speaking English from Polish. She was born during the time after World War II, her family having to hide to survive. She eventually moved to Canada from Poland, this being an extremely difficult time in her life. Later on she moves to Texas, falling in love with America and pursuing her dreams. I look up to her when I hear how she was born in a very difficult situation where Poland was in the midst of struggle, her and her family having to rise against this suffering and move their future elsewhere.
She says, "Sometimes I long to forget... It is painful to be conscious of two worlds." This quote shows how Hoffman is still able to reminisce to her life in Poland and all of the despair that she witnessed and also endured. I can imagine that she may have had some feelings of guilt living her dream, an amazing life, in America, with her knowledge of how other countries may not be so lucky in their day to day lives.
Hoffmann takes pride in her education and her ability to communicate, because it wasn't always easy for her to get her thoughts out into words, having lots of trouble learning English. She also writes, "The more words I have, the more distinct, precise my perceptions become- and such lucidity is a form of joy." This quote describes how learning more words and becoming extremely comfortable in the language has helped her ability to express herself in life, and within her career.
It is interesting you wrote about her struggle with finding herself in a completely new place. With so many cultural barriers, like language and other customs, she showed it was a hard adjustment to make but she was able to overcome and adapt.
ReplyDelete