Blackberry Winter

 Word Count: 260 words

Blackberry Winter, by Margaret Mead, is a novel about Margaret who shares her life story of being a pioneering woman and leading a successful life. She discusses how she grew up, along with those who have impacted her along the way, for example, her grandmother. She is able to look back at her life through this piece of writing and feel proud and accomplished for the legacy she left behind to all who did and did not encounter her. She did not have many opportunities but was able to make a successful way for herself. Something impressive that Margaret was able to do was to become a mother and also have a career. This may not seem surprising hearing this in today's world, because of all the women who are so amazing to balance their dreams and a family. In the 70s, being successful at all you wanted in life, specifically being a women was remarkable, and I am so impressed for her setting an example. A quote I loved from this reading was, "And as I had my father's kind of mind- which was also his mother's- I learned that the mind is not sex-typed." This quote stood out to me because I love her realization, the way the mind works is not limited to your gender, we are all gifted and valued in our own ways. Us as women have plenty of amazing things that men don't have, but it is no longer a challenge or a race! We are equals and will continue to be equal forever. 

Comments