A Daughter of Han

Word Count: 250 words


    Ning Lao T'ai-t-ai is the woman Ida Pruitt wrote about in her novel, A Daughter of Han. We are focused on the lives of Chinese people in the late 19th century through their hardships. She faced her first hardship once her parents began binding her feet. She loved to play and be free and be the fun-loving child she was. She felt so much pain physically throughout this time having to accustom to her culture. I cannot imagine having to go through a practice I didn't agree with without another choice. Women were oppressed early in Chinese society, learning their "place" at a very young age. China not allowing equality for women was extremely interesting to learn about because the late 19-20th century was a time not too long ago. Ning Lao was always focused on her education, making that a huge priority in her life. I loved this quote that I read that says, "No one can break the chain of a woman's will once she has made up her mind." This is accurate in each of the readings thus far, especially this story where even finding a job is so difficult for Ning Lao as she is inferior in Chinese society. Despite facing the many challenges she did, Ning Lao serves as an inspiration for Chinese women, becoming an example and a voice for those who cannot stand up for themselves. Through her testimony, she provides a powerful example for Chinese women and the struggles they face daily. 

Comments

  1. I agree, I think Ida Pruitt did a great job or portraying Ning Lao's life and the extreme hardships she went through due to the time period she grew up in and her the customs of her culture. I also could not imagine being forced into a custom that I completely did not agree with but unfortunately that has been the reality for women across the world, even today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment